Episode 2 · 7 months ago
Why You Need To STOP Looking at Your Stats
ABOUT THIS EPISODE
So I want to talk to you about the most unhealthy relationship you have as a podcaster, and how to fix that relationship. Let's go. This is podcast there. I want to let you know that the most unhealthy relationship that you have your podcast, is it with your co host, it isn't with your audience.
It's your obsession with your podcast downloads.
It is this toxic relationship you have with an arbitrary number that doesn't represent you as a podcaster it doesn't represent how good your content is it doesn't represent how fast you're growing, and it doesn't represent, whether you should continue podcasting, or not.
Here’s three ways to use your stats for good and not evil (I know you’re gonna look)
- Set a date and stick to it- I check once a quarter and prep myself mentally to not be disappointed or too excited.
- Get a stats buddy. Someone who can look for you and give you a thumbs up or down. There’s no real reason to become a mathematician unless you are 1000% ready to sell advertising or brag.
- Only use the stats to make better content. You’ll quickly see what episodes are performing and which aren’t. Make more similar to what’s getting downloaded!
Okay, so those are the three ways that you can have more of a healthy interaction with your podcast downloads. I just say stop looking make the podcast make the art that you want to listen to. And you will slowly grow your audience. It doesn't matter if you have 50 or 500,000 as long as you are continuing to put out good content. If it makes you happy and you have other goals in your business, other goals in your life, and what your podcast is going to do, you'll have so much more fun.
So I just wanted to tell you that you're the number of downloads that you get per episode, it means nothing. It means nothing to me, it doesn't define who you are as a podcaster. So get out there, make some awesome episodes, put the art out in the world that you want to see, and I'll see you in the next steps.
Hey, have you ever missed a podcast episode because your guest canceled or you're feeling uninspired. Well don't worry it happens to everyone now podcasts are super easy to start, but it's really hard to remain consistent, but I've got good news for you I have something totally free for you to never miss a podcast episode again. They're called pod decks now this is the episode deck, it has 50 unique episodes starting podcasting prompts on it. So all you have to do is pull a card and start podcasting spontaneously. So if you've ever had a guest cancel. If you've ever been uninspired or just don't know what to podcast about next. This is a great tool for your podcasting toolbox. Now the best news is I have a limited quantity that I'm giving away for free. All I ask is that you pay for shipping so go to free.poddecks.com to claim your very own episode deck. You will never miss releasing another podcast episode again.
In-Stream Audio SearchNEW
Search across all episodes within this podcast
Episode 7 · 5 months ago
Congratulations—you’ve started your own podcast! But now who’s going to listen to it? Rather than spend a lot of energy worrying about advertising or marketing, check out how to grow your audience using the power of mindset, connections, and community!
In this episode, Travis shares 3 strategies…
- 1: Shift your mindset: Podcasting is a marathon, not a sprint
- 2: Connect with more audiences: Be a guest on other podcasts
- 3: Create a Community: Build a space for an inclusive team to share ideas together
- “Your audience wants you around for the long haul. They want more than just a quick hit.”
- “Because we have a marathon mindset, it only takes one person a day, one person a week, to slowly compound your group.”
Links to resources:
Episode 6 · 6 months ago
Putting your podcast on YouTube can sound daunting but in reality it’s easier than you think. If you want more people to find your show and connect with your content, Travis explains 3 reasons why YouTube is the perfect place for your podcast and how to make the most of the recording equipment you don’t even know you have!
In this episode, Travis shares…
- Why video is more powerful than just a static image with audio
- 3 Reasons to put your podcast on YouTube: Searchability, visual representations, “NonPodcast People”
- How to use YouTube’s predictive search for episode ideas
- Suggestions for how to record videos for your podcast
- “If they’re not on an app, they’re not going to be able to find you if that’s the only place you are.”
- “Part of podcasting and growing your audience is creating your own community.”
Links to resources:
Episode 5 · 6 months ago
#SPONSORSHIPS Want to see a LOSING strategy for getting sponsors?
I get 50 messages a day asking for sponsorships. Don't get me wrong, I WANT to sponsor podcasters. In fact, I will sponsor anyone who buys and uses Pod Decks (poddecks.com/poweredbypoddecks).
The picture below shows what this gentlemen (and most podcasters) send me. Please don't send anyone a message that looks like this.
There are 3 simple components that companies want in their ambassadors:
- Actual users/raving fans - How can you really share how cool the product is if you don't use it?
- Metrics - Can be as simple as 467 downloads per episode.
- Information about your audience - ex Our listeners are 20-44 Men who collect baseball hats.
Here's what he could have written to even get a response:
"Hello __________ (name is important, you did 8 seconds of research),
(RAVE + METRICS) I just wanted to let you know Pod Decks are crazy awesome, I had so much fun using them on my last episode. We usually get 467 downloads per episode but this week we hit 600! Just wanted to let you know they totally work and I want to share your message with everyone I know!
(AUDIENCE + ACTUAL USER) We're growing our audience really good and the next step in the process for us is trying to get sponsorships from products we love and use. Our audience is 20-44 year old men who collect baseball cards and we think that they would love Pod Decks.
(GOOD ASK) Do you currently run a sponsorship program? We'd love to put an ad or live in the beginning of each episode. We'd send you the download numbers for each episode it ran in if you like to see numbers too.
(RAVE) If not, still love your product. Maybe you have an affiliate program we could join? If so, send me a link to sign up because again, we love using Pod Decks.
Baseball Hat Podcast
OK, so not only would I have responded, but he gave me a couple options of programs to get him into. He didn't just ask for FREE product (telling me how easy it is) or "Financial Contribution".
He gave me a reason or several to WANT to work with him.
I hope this helps. I know sponsorship is important to podcasters but I don't want my #POSSE members missing out on opportunities because of piss poor messages like this one.
Episode 4 · 6 months ago
If you're having trouble getting your guests to share your podcast I'll give you three easy ways to get them to share almost every time. Get your question answered! https://www.speakpipe.com/podcasttherapy You'll learn: 🙏 Why writing a thank you note will set you apart from 99.9% of other podcasters 😊How to make it stupid simple by providing pre-made content 🤐My super secret algorithm hacking trick Did you quit podcasting? Get my famous Pod Decks Episode Deck for FREE at free.poddecks.com - 50 unique episode starting prompts in the palm of your hand! These prompts will get you podcasting again in no time!