Episode 18 · 1 week ago
Why I hate Being called a Podcast "Expert"
ABOUT THIS EPISODE
I hate when I get labeled an expert. Expert or Guru seems like the end of the line. Someone who stopped learning at the top of their game to teach others.
I'm simply testing and sharing what works with podcasters. Period.
Will I ever stop testing? No.
Will I ever stop sharing? Nope.
You can count on me to not go GURU on you.
What the heck do I call myself?
DM me @poddecks
Go to Facebook.com/groups/poddecks to join the Podcast Builder Club!
Download the Pod Decks App for 2000 unique conversation-starting questions on your phone!
In-Stream Audio SearchNEW
Search across all episodes within this podcast
Episode 12 · 1 month ago
SEO (search engine optimization) and discovery might sound like something you have to pay big bucks for in order to grow your podcast and audience—but what if it wasn’t? Kal Amin and Dan Daugherty, creators of Sounder.fm, join Travis to share why they’re on a mission to usher in a new way for podcasters to connect with creators, designers, and their ideal audience without the high cost or limited reach of other platforms!
In this episode, Travis, Kal, and Dan discuss…
- How the growth of the podcasting industry in 2020 is just like the growth of the web in the late 90’s—early 2000’s
- Sounder’s mission to make podcasting more accessible
- Sounder’s innovative approach to search optimization and audio SEO
- Kal and Dan’s motivation for their user experience design
- How to rank your podcast in Google
- Why Kal and Dan’s decided to launch their own podcast
- Sounder’s goals to make monetization easier for podcasters—with or without advertising
- Q & A with Kal and Dan
- “Just like everyone had a blog—every business had a blog, every person and every business will also have a podcast.”
- “...this idea of stream audio search is finding that specific topic, phrase, keyword, whatever it may be, what you're looking for...and retrieving the information and then going back to your doing what you were doing, so we think it's going to be a pretty big shift.”
- “When people are able to find the topics that they're interested in, and start to consume you quicker, and you're saving people time, they're more likely to discover you and fall in love with you.”
Links to resources:
Episode 11 · 2 months ago
If your podcast mindset has ever shifted from optimistic to overwhelmed, you’re not alone! Learn Travis’ top 3 tips for cultivating a PMA: Positive Mental Attitude, so you can focus on your podcast one step at a time, without worrying about others or overthinking everything along the way!
In this episode, Travis shares …
- Tip 1—Avoid the Comparison Trap: Steal like an artist instead! Apply what works; let go of what doesn’t!
- Tip 2—Opt out of Overthinking: It’s either a hell yes or no!
- Tip 3—Tap into the Compound Effect: Do just one thing every day toward your goal and watch your results grow.
- Top tools to improve your podcast mindset
- “Comparison is the thief of joy.”
- “Next time you start thinking about any decision you’re going to make...it’s either a hell yes or a NO. If you apply that thought process...it’s going to save you hours, maybe years of your life, of spending time overthinking...”
- “I’m going to do one single little thing every day—I’m not going to do it all today. Rome wasn’t built in a day and my podcast empire isn’t going to be either.”
- “I’m going to have more fun podcasting, I’m not going to overwhelm myself.”
Links to resources:
Episode 10 · 2 months ago
Whether you’ve hosted a podcast for years or just just started your podcasting journey, live streaming offers an invaluable opportunity to grow your show! Listen in as Travis talks with John Svedese about how going live grew his podcast, mistakes to avoid when you take the leap into live streaming, and tips for giving your audience the best show yet!
In this episode, Travis and John discuss…
- How going live has affected John’s podcast reach
- When and why John took his podcast live
- Advice for creating searchable titles on YouTube
- What gear John used to take his show live
- How John’s podcast stats changed after going live
- Mistakes to avoid when creating live shows
- Tips to make your live podcast more interactive and engaging
- How to get over stage fright for live shows
- Details about John’s upcoming exclusive StreamYard course “Live Streaming Secrets for Podcasting”
- “[Going live] allows me to get on platforms I wouldn’t normally be on just doing an audio podcast. It’s giving me the potential to grow my audience on other platforms.”
- “Live streaming is the next evolution of what you should be doing with your podcast.”
- “If you’re gonna go live, make sure you have a topic to talk about—you’re not just going live to go live.”
- “I think having the extra content, as far as live streaming, is a huge advantage in building your audience and really building the brand.”
Episode 9 · 2 months ago
More podcasts means more podcast hosting sites, each with different price points, services, terms and conditions. Instead of letting all the options overwhelm you, listen in as Travis explains what podcast hosting platforms provide and why Sounder.fm is a solid solution!
In this episode, Travis shares…
- What a podcast hosting site is and why you’ll need one for your show
- Different costs associated with podcast hosting and why free doesn’t always mean free
- Why you should consider switching to Sounder.fm
- “Sounder.fm is a really easy host to use and it doesn’t hurt your eyes looking at a site that looks like it was built in 1995.”
Links to resources: